Saturday, September 01, 2018

Her Capsule Wardrobe 



A few weeks ago, in passing, my mum told me she needed to go shopping for clothes as she had nothing to wear for her trip to Ireland next week. So I decided I would make her some pieces that would go together. I looked for inspiration on Instagram for sewing over 60 but there are very few posts. The ladies who had tagged themselves seemed to like the merchant and Mills Patterns. I have to admit I have not particularly been drawn to them. Like many people I didn't really like how they had marketed their patterns. However the versions that were online looked comfortable and classic which was a look that I thought my mum would like. So I took the plunge and bought their workbook. I bought 8 metres of fabric and started sewing! Originally I had planned on making all of it from the merchant and Mills Workbook however I decided that fitted waistband might be problematic on trousers that I wasn't actually fitting.

The fabrics are a striped polycotton, a very soft denim and a beautiful blue linen. All from my local sewing shop, Samuel Taylors.

The trouser pattern I eventually chose, is actually the Tilly and the Buttons PJ bottoms Margo, but I added pockets and a mock fly. They needed about 4 inches off the bottom but I think they have turned out pretty well and may make more of these in the future as they a really quick make.

The linen blouse is the only unique fabric of the collection. This is Heron from the Workbook. My friend Mel from Ditsy Tulip had warned me about the pivot points on the collar so I didn't have any problems with them. However the ties!!! What a terrible way of tackling them! It took several hours to turn them the right way out and my fingers hurt for about two days afterwards. It is however the best top out of the ones that I made. I think it looks pretty and the colour is perfect on my mum.

The next top is Curlew also from the Workbook. I would have loved to have made a long sleeved version, however this tiny tank top is bias cut so eats fabric. It is a little big on her, under the arms, and I think I really need to learn how to do a FBA for any future tops I make for her. It works ok though as she is happier with a long sleeve tee-shirt underneath. The bias binding is a bit of the striped fabric. I really enjoyed the look of this and am dreaming of a liberty trim on a future versions.



The rest of the striped polycotton became the Saltmarsh skirt also from the workbook. It is a super easy make, with a sewn waistband,pockets and a drawstring. I took 3 inches from the bottom and put it together in a couple of hours.



My mum thankfully is pleased with the pieces I have made. I count myself very lucky that she let me take photos as she is usually very camera shy. The photos were taken five minutes walk from my house.

There are two more patterns in the book another Tank with a racer back ( I can't imagine my mum wearing that) and a linen Jacket a long and short version which I quite fancy making the long at some point. Red linen mmmm!

WE are very lucky to live here!



As for the scraps? I decided to make one of my #2018makenine. Datura by Dear and Doe. For some reason I had got it into my head that this pattern was going to be complicated. Again it is bit a big under the arms but I really like the pattern it is a very easy make ( the buttons are just sewn on!) and is perfect for small bits of Fabric.


If you are wondering about the shawl it was designed and made by my very clever friend Olga a few years back you can get the pattern here.

I am now dreaming of a Capsule wardrobe for me. Luckily Sew Over It have just obliged with their Work To Weekend Collection whch I am busy printing out!

Till Next Time

A x

1 comment:

  1. Hello Arianwen, I've just re-discovered your blog and love the clothes you've made for your mother. It has inspired me to re-visit the Merchant and Mills book (which I can borrow from my local library). You may remember me from the old Rowan forum, we met in Holmfirth at the Green Lane events. I'm now retired and live in Lincolnshire. All the best, Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! If you have time, please leave a comment( I hadn't realised that you couldn't quite some time) . I love to know you are out there and what you think of my little offerings. If you have a blog leave me a link to that too and I will come and visit you :)

A x

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...