Saturday, January 31, 2015
well as promised a post on sewing. I am getting more sewing done at the moment and I have several little projects that I have made in the last few weeks and I was going to show you. Then last Sunday as we were wandering around the local supermarket I spotted a new sewing magazine, Love Sewing. Now I have pretty much stopped buying magazines, however I decided that I could justify it with the free pattern that it had attached. It was all sealed but I hurriedly opened it and started reading it in the car on the way home ( no I wasn't driving).
There are lots of good ideas for projects but also lots of fabric inspirations which is always nice to be pointed in the right direction of nice fabrics.
One of the patterns inside was a little tartan skirt, it really caught my eye as I have lots of fabric in stash that would make gorgeous little skirts, I would only need a zip and some bias binding, I stocked up in the week.
The fabric that first came to mind was a herringbone that I picked up in our local Oxfam Shop about 12 years ago for £2.50. I know, right, a bargain! I actually have enough for a couple of skirts but the first one was for E. She got back from uni last night and I confirmed she liked it. It being the pattern and the fabric. Would she wear it? Yes, on the proviso that it was made shorter.
Of course you can't do anything in this house without Cat help. Molly and Percy thought it was all fascinating. Within a couple of minutes Percy had stuck his teeth through the pattern.
They had both had a little sleep on the fabric whilst I re-traced the bottom skirt panel onto greaseproof paper I took about 3 inches off of the bottom.
and then with the help of Percy and Molly I and cut it all out.
Molly gave up at this point, but Percy helped me until the end.
The pattern was super easy to follow and I love the tip about using bias binding on the hem, it certainly made it easier than the usual bias hem.
I think the whole thing took me less than 5 hours, so not bad for an evening's work ( of course I would probably have been a lot slower without my helpers).
The skirt's yoke and hem is hand-sewn as are the buttons onto the faux pockets. and the rest is done on the machine. The buttons came from Mamie's button box so I am fairly certain the whole thing cost less than a tenner. Which let's face it is a bargain!
Both E and I are pretty chuffed at how it turned out although I think the patterns sizing is pretty generous which means that an inch off all the way around would definitely have made for a more fitted skirt.But I think this one will get lots of wear and I am already planning the next ones.
So that is me for now.